overlooked benefits of living simply
In years past when I would hear people talk about living ‘simply‘, I would always think about living in a one room log cabin deep in the woods with days consisting of hunting for food- all while wearing a wardrobe that consists of all-things-camo.
The thought of such a life was unappealing and crazy to me, at best. I’m proud to say that in the past few years, my understanding of simplicity has evolved- a lot.
Now I see simplicity as living a life purged of unnecessary extra-stuff. The extra possessions clutter our mind, environment, our emotions and lifestyle. Essentially, it’s the stuff that hinders us from living a life of freedom. Freedom to go, do and experience a full life… whatever that may mean in your life.
As I’ve been on a quest to simplify, I’ve been learning about & experiencing the refreshing benefits of the Simple life.
• It unclutters your space. Most of us in western society have so much stuff, we could give away half of away and still live quite comfortably.
• It gives you mental clarity. When your space is cluttered- it’s an indication that your mind is also cluttered, unsettled and lacking peace as well. So, if you notice your environment is less than tidy, it may be time to take action to release some junk in your life and your heart.
• It takes less of your energy. Living more simply means being more content living with less. Less to clean, less to keep up with, less to worry & think about- less stress. This in turn gives you more time and energy to invest in relationships and activities that are really important.
• It gives you more freedom. When you hold on to a lot of things, you develop unhealthy attachments. You somehow lose the ability to look at the stuff just as ‘things’; not wanting to throw away something because there is a 10% chance you may need it later. Every time I get rid of a bunch of stuff, I feel liberated, lighter and just plain happier.
• It costs less. Having less often times means you’ll have less out of pocket expense. Keep your money in your pocket and invest in the things that carry lasting, meaning and memories.
• Gives you more time to enjoy what is really important. The opposite of a life of simplicity is a life of confusion and clutter.
• Gives you a more organized life. Do you wonder where you’ll put things when you get them? Are you squeezing one more thing in an already full drawer, closet, cabinet or bureau? Been there- done that. It takes so much energy and effort to keep things organized (or looking organized) when you aren’t living simply.
• Breaks unhealthy attachments to things. So, in a past blog I referenced how watching the show featuring hoarders is an instant motivator for me to clean and throw stuff away. Even watching the show makes me anxious!
If you’ve ever watched it, you’ll know what I’m talking about. I feel so much compassion for those people because they have cultivated unhealthy attachments to the things around them that have literally squeezed out the potential of healthy relationships, mindsets or habits.
Allow room in your life for healthy relationships, habits and mindsets by intentionally releasing unhealthy attachments. Remember, the more junk you keep around you the more energy it saps from you.
Make a choice today to live life with less stress– dump some junk and live simply. Here’s to living the abundant & beautiful life of simplicity.